Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- 1 tsp salt
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 tbsp Paleo cooking fat; (olive oil, ghee, avocado oil, bacon grease, or coconut oil)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning and water (amount based on taco seasoning instructions)
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Pie Crust Preparation
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, butter and salt. Blend until a doughy texture takes shape.
- Transfer the dough into a 9 inch pie dish and press it out evenly into the dish so that the complete surface is covered.
Pie Filling Preparation
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet over a medium-high heat, melt the cooking fat and sauté the onions in the cooking fat until they become slightly translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until the beef has cooked through.
- Mix the taco seasoning and water in with the beef and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until seasonings have flavored meat enough and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the beef into the pie crust and place in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Make salad while the taco pie is baking.
- Prior to serving, cover the surface of the pie with chopped lettuce, chopped red bell pepper and diced avocado.
Hearth and Honey http://hearthandhoney.com/