Apple Carrot Coleslaw
- 1 small organic cabbage, finely shredded (I use half of a red and half of a green)
- 2 medium organic Fuji apples, peeled, cored, julienne
- 2 medium organic carrots, peeled, julienne
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh organic parsley
- The Dressing
- 1/4 cup plain coconut milk or whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayo (homemade is best)
- 2 tbsp pure raw honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the Slaw
- Shred the cabbage, rinse and dry thoroughly. (I like to use a salad spinner for this task, but you can also place the drained cabbage on a kitchen towel and pat off excess moisture.) Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Julienne the apples and carrots, and finely dice the onion and fresh parsley. Add to bowl of shredded cabbage.
- Prepare the poppy dressing as noted below. Then drizzle the dressing over the slaw and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately, or store in frig until ready to serve. Just be sure to toss the coleslaw again, prior to serving, to evenly distribute the dressing. (I prefer to serve this coleslaw within a couple of hours of making it, as it becomes less crisp as time passes. Although, I never pass up eating it the next day – it’s especially good as a sandwich topping.)
How to Prepare the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until well blended. Add to the coleslaw as directed above.
Hearth and Honey http://hearthandhoney.com/